Headquarters House Museum
April 18, 1863
The home built in 1853 by Judge Jonas Tebbetts, a staunch Union supporter who fled Fayetteville (Washington County) with his family after learning of a plot on his life, was severely damaged during the Civil War Action at Fayetteville. It served as headquarters for both Union and Confederate armies when each was in command of the area. The house is one of the best examples of Greek Revival architecture remaining in the state. Carefully restored by each of the several families who owned it after Tebbetts's departure, the building is now known as the Headquarters House Museum and serves as headquarters of the Washington County Historical Society.