Fayetteville (Washington County)

January 22, 1872

Arkansas Industrial University opened. The Morrill Act, passed by Congress during the Civil War, had provided land grants to each state to establish agricultural and mechanical colleges. Upon reentering the Union after the war, Arkansas became eligible for the grants. Washington County proposed a $100,000 bond issue, and Fayetteville offered another $30,000, including individual land donations, to build a college. Fayetteville’s proposal was selected. In 1899, the legislature changed the name of Arkansas Industrial University to the University of Arkansas (UA). (more)